Edmondson Cemetery was originally organized in 1844 as Pisgah Presbyterian Church. Land was donated by William Campbell Edmiston for a cemetery next to the church building, which was built on what is today called Stateline Road or Main St.
The Church was later named Edmiston in honor of that family and later the spelling evolved to Edmondson, which was the spelling used by a branch of the family that was very active in helping the church. (This was the family of "Belle" Edmondson, the Confederate Spy).The Church and cemetery were just below the TN - MS boundary line which was "moved" several times due to disputes by the states. At one time when they were both in TN, the church rebuilt on other land farther north; and when the line moved again, the church was in TN and the cemetery in MS.
Today the church is Whitehaven Presbyterian Church on Shelby Drive in Memphis, TN. The cemetery is Edmondson Cemetery in Southaven, MS. Old tombstones read like a Who's Who list of prominent men and women, including Indian traders, politicians and Civil War veterans.